Before you can start automating your testing on iOS devices with iOS Gateway, there are several steps you must complete, beginning with installing iOS Gateway. You also need to set up iOS devices for development testing. Instructions for these procedures are found below.
Additionally, you are required to code sign for development the apps you are going to test, and you need to install the apps on an iOS device. For information about these steps, see Signing Apps for Use with iOS Gateway.
Before installation, consider the testing approach that is best for your team. For further information on testing approaches, see iOS Gateway Testing Methods.
To install iOS Gateway, follow the steps below:
- Download the iOS Gateway application from the iOS section of the Eggplant Mobile Gateways Downloads page.
- Install iOS Gateway on a Mac running OS X 10.14 or later.
- Launch iOS Gateway.
- Enter Provisioning information. Go to iOSGateway > Preferences > Provisioning. From here, you can automatically or manually select the profile to use for signing and testing.
Important: You must have an Apple developer account to complete this step. If you don't already have a developer account, go to the Apple Developer website to create one.
If you have an existing development certificate, and it's saved on a different computer, we recommend exporting it from that computer and then importing it to the computer that you want to use. See the Apple Knowledge Base to learn how to do this. Note that this migration doesn't invalidate any existing provisioning profiles you may have. You can install your signing certificate on multiple computers or have more than one person's signing certificate on a given computer, but signing can't be automated in either of those cases.
In rare circumstances, you will need to revoke an existing certificate on the Apple developer website. Only do this if you have no access to the computer your certificate is stored on or if that computer isn't functional.
Any device that is to be enabled for development use with Xcode must be listed in your online Apple developer portal. To add your iOS device to your list of devices, follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the Member Center on the Apple Developer website and log in with your Apple developer account. If you do not have an Apple developer account, you will need to create one.
- In the Member Center, click to select the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles section, then select Devices under iOS Apps.
- To add a new device, click the Add button (+) in the upper-right corner.
- Provide a name for the device, and the UDID found on the device. To find the UDID, connect the device to a Mac running Xcode. In Xcode, go to Window > Devices, then select the device in the left sidebar. The UDID appears in the Identifier field. You can copy the UDID from Xcode and paste it into the registration portal.
- Click Continue, verify your information, then click Register to complete device registration.
Apple limits the total number of devices you can have registered to your account. For complete information on device registration, see Maintaining Identifiers, Devices, and Profiles in the iOS Developer Library.
These instructions apply to Xcode 6.1 and later.
Enable Development Use in Xcode
To enable a device for development use with Xcode, follow the instructions below:
- In Xcode > Preferences > Account, enter your Mobile Developer Apple ID and password (if you have not previously done so).
- Connect an iOS device to your computer via USB.
- On your iOS device, confirm that you trust this Mac on the Trust This Computer pop up.
Typically, your device should now be enabled for development use. However, you can confirm this status in Xcode. From Xcode's main menu, select Window > Devices to open the Devices window, then locate your device in the sidebar. If the device is not properly enabled for development, a yellow warning triangle appears next to the device.
This step cannot be done until after the device has been enabled for development, as described in Set Up an iOS Device for Development Use.
To enable UI automation on the device, follow these steps:
- On the iOS device, navigate to Settings > Developer.
- In the UI Automation section, turn on the setting for Enable UI Automation.