A number of predefined admin user emulations and scenarios are provided on the Emulator when it is shipped. A user can modify these or create new emulations and scenarios, as required. There are also options to delete, rename, and download emulations and scenarios, as well as to load emulations and scenarios from a PC.
When a user logs in, the Home page displays and lists folders containing point-to-point emulations, dual-hop emulations, profiled emulations (recorded by using the Profiler), and scenarios.
Some pre-defined emulations and scenarios are supplied with the emulator, and as new ones are created they appear in the appropriate folders.
There are three emulation types:
- Point-to-point emulations
- Dual-hop emulations
- Profiled emulations
Point-to-point and dual-hop emulation scenarios are explained in detail later in this guide. The profiled emulations can only be created by the Eggplant Network appliance running in Profiler mode.
The Profiler is a separately licensed option on the appliance.
Alongside each emulation or scenario file listed, there are four Action icons:
- Load an emulation/scenario into the emulator.
- Change the emulation/scenario name and description.
- Download the emulation/scenario file to the PC from the Emulator.
- Delete the emulation/scenario file.
An emulation or scenario file can also be loaded into the Emulator by clicking on the file name.
Saved emulations are by owned by the user that creates them and are shared when saved on the appliance following these rules:
- All users can see and load all emulations/scenarios from the web GUI. Users can only edit their own emulations/scenarios. Administrators can edit any emulation/scenario file.
- All users can run all emulation/scenario files on the appliance. Administrators can delete all emulation/scenario files, but non-admin users can delete only their own files.
Any saved emulations can be run from the LCD panel or CLI (see the LCD Panel User Guide and Command Line Interface (CLI) Scripting & API Guide for more information).
When you select an emulation (by clicking the load icon, or its name), the Load Emulation dialog box displays.
If your Emulator is licensed to support two port pairs, you can choose which port pairs to load the emulation onto.
- Click OK to load the configuration.
- Click Cancel to return to the main emulation page.
To share emulations/scenarios with other appliances, save them locally on the Emulator and click download to save them to your local file system. You can then distribute them to other users via email or file share, and they can load them into their Emulators by clicking Load File from PC.
Clicking New Emulation clears any emulation settings and starts a fresh scenario from the Emulation Setup & Control page, from which the new emulation can be set up and run.