An App ID is used by Apple to identify your app and associate it with your development team. You need to register an App ID through the Apple Developer website before you can code sign the app for development use and install it on iOS devices.
You can choose to create either an explicit App ID, which is associated with a single app by the bundle ID, or a wildcard App ID, which can match multiple apps from your team. Which type you choose depends on the requirements of the app you're signing and your testing approach. For complete information on App IDs, see Maintaining Identifiers, Devices, and Profiles in the iOS Developer Library.
To learn about the additional signing requirements, see Signing Apps for Use with iOS Gateway.
Step by Step: Creating Your App ID
The App ID must be created in the online Apple Developer portal. To create an App ID, follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the Member Center on the Apple Developer website and log in with your Apple developer account. If you do not have an Apple developer account, you will need to create one.
- In the Member Center, click to select the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles section, then select Identifiers under iOS Apps.
- To create an App ID, click the Add button (+) in the upper-right corner.
- Provide a name for the App ID.
- Select an ID type (explicit or wildcard), then provide a name for that ID as described in the Apple Developer portal.
Generally, we recommend that you use a wildcard App ID for signing with iOS Gateway. However, if the app you're signing requires special app services entitlements (step 6), you might be required to use an explicit App ID because many of these app services are not available with wildcard App IDs. If you use an explicit ID, however, note that it can be used to sign only one app. Wildcard IDs can be used to sign multiple apps.Note: When you're performing tests with iOS Gateway, we recommend using com.testplant* for your App ID for best results.
- Select the appropriate app services required for your app. If the App ID is to be used with eggOnLauncher and eggOnAgent, do not select any additional services.
- Click Continue, then verify your settings on the next screen.
- Click Submit when you're ready to complete registration and save the App ID to your developer account.
You can edit an existing App ID in the Developer portal if you want to adjust the app services assigned to it. Find and select the App ID in the list, then click Edit to enter edit mode. You can't change the type of App ID (wildcard or explicit), so if you find you need a different type for your app, you'll need to create a new one.